This post is kindly sponsored by Murals Wallpaper and may contain affiliate links.
All content and opinions are my own.
One color just isn’t enough when you’re nine years old. Ombre effects are on trend and a fabulous way to bring exceptional color to any bedroom. My daughter wanted rainbow colors and a sunset ombre, and it turned out beautifully!
So many design projects in our new home had to start somewhere! You know how I feel… kids’ rooms are the most fun, so here we are. I worry the move may hit Elsie the hardest so I got stuck straight into to her room the first week in.
Why an Ombre Feature Wall is All You Need
Elsie’s new bedroom is small but perfectly formed. it is bright with two windows and a large built-in closet. She doesn’t need a lot of furniture and decor so it was up to the feature wall to make it pop. I offered Elsie a few options from painting, to plank boards, and this gorgeous ombre wallpaper won hands down.
Installing a Wallpaper Feature Wall
I have never installed wallpaper before and it was a little intimidating. However, as I gained confidence, every piece went up quicker than the one before, and the result is beautiful. I am definitely going back to wallpapering elsewhere because it wasn’t anything to worry about.
Our lovely ‘Harmony’ ombre paper is from Murals Wallpaper, and came in manageable sized pieces based on custom dimensions I gave them with my order. They ship worldwide and also have a UK site here if you’re that side of the pond.
Wallpaper Installation Tips:
- Walls are never perfectly straight, even in a new build. Make sure you leave extra paper at the top, bottom and sides to trim after installation.
- Be careful not to overlap seams. Even an accidental hairline space between pieces looks better than slight overlaps because they cause a shadow which can be seen at distance.
- Don’t be afraid to remove and replace. It takes a little time for the paper to dry. I had two pieces that were headed for wonky placement… I gently removed and replaced with no problems.
- Add glue to the wall, not the paper. I used a sponge roller to apply glue to each area, a piece at a time. Hang the piece of paper from the top downwards.
- Traditionally, wallpaper is smoothed with a large brush. I preferred a clean dry microfibre cloth to rub down the wall afterward.
Colorful Ombre Girl’s Bedroom Reveal
Elsie’s had her eye on this PB Teen rainbow chevron quilt (US only) for some time and I was excited to see how well it went with the ombre wall. But with all this color going on we decided to keep the rest of the room fairly neutral.
Ultimately, the seal of approval comes from the Girl Boss herself. I can tell she feels like the coolest kid on the block in her new room and I keep finding her and kitty curled up together reading a book on her new bed. The upholstered platform bed was a great find, and she has an awesome Nolah mattress on top. We bought the Twins Nolah mattresses 18months ago and we absolutely love them!
If you have a tween looking for a splash of color, do have a browse of the ombre wallpapers available at Murals Wallpaper. They have quite the selection and the quality is fantastic.
If you have any questions or thoughts on the room design I’d love to hear from you! Do you love ombre?