The Christmas bells are on their way so crack open those cranberries and get your festive cooking on the go! Today I’m ditching the carbs and offering a chipped sweet potato alternative to the traditional bread crostini. Plus, the bacon is optional (but delicious) in these bacon, cranberry, goats cheese, sweet potato ‘crostini’. The perfect gluten free Christmas appetizer!
As the Twins have gone gluten free, we find ourselves eating less wheat as a family. I love goat cheese and cranberry as a flavor combo and wanted to offer a Christmas appetizer for that everyone can enjoy. Homemade sweet potato chips make the perfect base for this topping and even my picky three year olds were sold.
This is one of the recipes that you can pick and choose how homemade you go. You can buy sweet potato chips, you can buy cranberry sauce… how much you make yourself is up to you. Either way, your guests will be blown away because this Christmas orders are delicious.
Less chatter, more cooking from me… get stuck into the recipe below. Fill the bar board with Christmas nibbles, pour the wine and have a very Merry Christmas.
A delicious gluten free, low carb Christmas appetizer all your party guests will love!
- 1 sweet potato
- 12oz fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbs water
- orange zest
- 6oz goats cheese
- 3 strips of bacon
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash and slice the sweet potato with a mandoline or thinly with a knife. Add to a large bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Lay the sweet potato slices into a baking sheet and bake for 30mins, turning halfway. Allow to cool before topping.
- Add the cranberries, sugar, small amount of zest and water to a pan and bring to a simmer on low heat while the sugar melts.
- Increase the heat to medium and simmer the mix for 10minutes until all the cranberries have popped and the sauce thickens. Allow to cool
- Fry or grill the bacon and allow to cool before finely chopping into bacon bits.
- Top your sweet potato chips with goats cheese, cranberry sauce, bacon bits and a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Eat and enjoy!
For more texture to your cranberry sauce, try keeping a handful of cranberries aside until the last 3minutes of cooking.
I hope you enjoy this christmas gluten free appetizer as much as I do. These bacon, cranberry, cheese gluten free crostini make the perfect orderve, snack and party food for the Holiday season. I love that the healthier choice can be so delicious… the sweet potato works brilliantly.
When you have a huge dinner to come, it’s never a good idea to stuff yourself with carb filled apps. Bonus, you’ll have plenty of cranberry sauce leftover for your dinner too.
And remember… if you can’t face making it all from scratch, pick up some readymade chips and cranberry sauce. You guests will be none the wiser 😉 And you have some veggie folks coming over just omit the bacon for an delicious vegetarian christmas appetizer.
More festive posts to come, I love this time of year!
December 3, 2018 at 11:05 am
This is a creative way to keep such a recipe gluten free. I like it. It can be such a struggle to stay gluten free and tasty.