Baby names for twins… did I miss a trick? I have disappointed many a stranger in the grocery store when they ask me “What are their names?”. For those of you dropping in for the first time from Google, my identical twin boys are called George and Arthur. Whether you like these names or not, people seem genuinely disappointed I didn’t name them Bill and Ben, or Thanks and Giving.
Although their names are now registered on their birth certificates, we have not yet got them passports, so we could always go clean slate before they start school and things get really confusing. Let’s consider our options, how do you come up with baby names for twins?
Baby Names for Twins Starting with the Same Letter:
It seems most people want to at least see my boys with names that start with the same letter. When they were about three months old I was in line at the post office and the older lady behind me asked their names. “Oh no, that’s not right at all.” she said.
“If you’re going to have George you need another ‘jah’ name. Like Geoffrey or James, or…”
“Well, they’re three months old already so I don’t think I can change their names.” I said. But she was on a mission, and just kept reeling off names. In the end I just joined in… “Well I do quite like Jackson.”
If you’re looking to browse baby names for twins that start with the same letter, verywell.com have selected two girl and two boy names for the entire alphabet. I’m particular digging:
- Fredrick and Franklin – come one, Freddy and Franky is totally cute.
- Christian and Christopher – you don’t even have to worry about which one is which.
- Xavier and Xander – it’s slim pickings with ‘x’ so these are about as good as it’s going to get.
‘Clever’ Baby Names for Twins:
Some people are sure that twins need a team name. Something that’s witty, clever and will require them to introduce themselves together for the rest of their lives. A few months ago a woman stopped me at the checkout and asked “What are their names?”. “George and Arthur.” I said. She looked blank for a few moments while she processed, and then said “oOoh… I get it.” with an over enthusiastic nod of the head. Thought to myself, really? I don’t. It has bothered me since then whether she was just saying that because she thought she was missing the wit, or whether there is actually something to their names that I’m just not intelligent enough to get. Please, fill me in if I’m missing something.
When I was pregnant, friends had all sorts of stories of these clever paired names, I’m hoping some of them are just urban myths for the sake of the children. Here are some of my personal favourites in case you’re in the market for something wacky:
- Ben and Jerry – if you do this, please don’t let them get fat, the playground torture is bad enough already.
- Romeo and Juliet – Aww… wouldn’t that be incest?
- Elsa and Ana – who’s seen Jane the Virgin… aha, brilliant!
- Pussy and Kat – I suggest Kat stays clear of Pussy, she’s got the good name.
- Thelma and Louise – let’s hope for a better ending.
- Simone and Pumba – hakuna matata.
- Georgio and Armani – for the classy choice.
- Tom, Dick and Harry – for the triplet mom.
- Mork and Mindy – just don’t do it.
- Moon and Star – They’ll probably be OK as long as you keep them on the commune.
Baby Names for Twins that Rhyme:
Who doesn’t love names that rhyme? My daughter had a pair of rhyming same letter twins in her kindergarten class last year so I have to be careful what I say. It is a popular choice, and at least once they’ve left home and are introducing themselves individually they’re not called Pussy… things could be worse. Here are some of my favourite rhyming combos:
- Jasper and Casper
- Nikki and Ricky
- Jayden and Kayden
- Elsie and Kelsie
- Benson and Jenson
- Ronald and Donald… bahaha, enough already.
For more rhyming baby names (they work for siblings too!), find an extensive list at allparenting.com.
Celebrity Baby Names for Twins:
It happens every year – a big celebrity couple name their child and we all follow suit. I was so annoyed when the Royals named their first born George… I had that one in the bank years ago. We did consider ditching it, but stuff you Kate and Wills, it was our name first. So… what celebrity twin names have swept the globe? Let’s take a look – a surprisingly tame list until you get to Michael J Fox, and not a rhyming, witty, same letter name in sight.
- Knox and Vivienne – Brad and Ange
- Christian and Edward – Mel Gibson
- Mateo and Valentino – Ricky Martin
- Nelson and Eddy – Celine Dion
- Phinnaeus and Hazel – Julia Roberts
- Aquinnah and Schuyler – Michael J Fox
- Page and Jocelyn – Ron Howard
- Bob and Max – Charlie Sheen
- Julian and Aaron – Robert De Niro
- Gideon and Harper – Neil Patrick Harris
For even more celebrity twin names, take a look at this list at sheknows.com.
That’s about all the twin action I have for you today, but do let me know your thoughts… what should we have named George and Arthur? I’m personally swaying towards Georgio and Armani – it’s not far off!!
And in case you missed it, here’s a clip of the birth (and naming) of Elsa and Anna from Jane the Virgin… bahaha.